- ½ cup (80g) dried pitted dates, finely chopped
- 1¼ cups (200g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons (40g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Perfect Protein Vanilla Powder
- 125ml buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 2 whole medium (460g) very ripe banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a loaf pan (20cm x 10cm base measurement) with a piece of kitchen baking paper. Cut a large piece of the paper to fold over the longest edge from one side to the other side covering the inside base of the pan. It will slightly overlap the edge and this will make it easier to remove the cooked loaf. Lightly spray the uncovered ends with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the dates, flour, sugar and protein powder into a large bowl mix to combine. Combine the buttermilk, egg, oil and orange rind in a jug add to the dry mix. Stir well.
- Fold * through the mashed banana and spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean (with no wet mixture clinging to it) when loaf is tested.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack.
- Serve with fresh ricotta or low fat cream cheese.
Per serve: 691kj (165 cal), 5g protein, 27g carbs, 14g sugars, 3g fat (<1g sat), 4g fibre.
Tip – the term to fold means to use a large spoon to fold the mixture together. The spoon is used to fold the mixture over itself to combine rather than beat with the spoon.
Thin bamboo skewers are perfect to have in your kitchen to test cakes, loafs etc when baking.